28 May 2012

Pattern Review: Vogue 8574

I made this maxi dress last summer. I've worn it a handful of times but never think to take a picture while wearing it so I never blogged it until now. I wore it to my daughter's high school graduation yesterday so finally a kodak moment...

ummmm.... please excuse my do. the graduation ceremony was outside and it was quite windy so by the end of the day my hair was a hot mess!


Here's my review: V8574

Pattern Description: Slightly flared, mid-knee or evening length dress has close-fitting, lined sleeveless bodice, neck band, raised waist seam, front and back pleats, side seam pockets and back zipper.

Pattern Sizing:
6-12. I cut the 12 according to my measurements & size chart but had to put a couple of darts in the bodice.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy enough to follow although I didn't understand why certain pieces were constructed the way they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
As I said I didn't understand why certain pieces were constructed the way they instructed. If I made this pattern again, I would choose not to follow their instructions for the neckband. Also I wanted to line the bottom but I missed my window of opportunity by finishing the bodice/lining according to instructions.

All that being said I ADORE the dress. It's very comfy and I love that it has pockets. I was a bit concerned about the peek-a-boo in the front but it was just fine. Not overly revealing.

Fabric Used:
I found this fabric at Joann back in the springtime. I THINK it was from the Silky Prints. I'm pretty sure it's 100% poly.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I may sew it again. I like maxi dresses a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job. I came across your blog in a google search. I am a new sew fanatic and I am having a hard time on a neck band that is similar to this. Did you have problems with the neck band on this dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suite74. It's been a couple of years since I sewed this dress. I don't remember the construction order but I do remember it was mostly hand-stitched - per the pattern instructions. I remember pressing in the seam allowance on the bottom and top layers and then sewing the edges together by hand.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS