05 June 2014

Another Version of M6953 + Pattern Review

So I guess this is my favorite pattern right now. This is my second version of McCall 6953. I made View C and wore it Mother's Day. I have every intention of making the other two versions as well.


Here is a review for fellow sewers:

Pattern Description:
MISSES' DRESSES: Dresses have princess seams, fitted, lined bodice, pleated skirt, hemline variations, and back zipper. B and C: shaped hemline, wrong side shows. C: hem band. A, B and D: narrow hem. Separate pattern pieces are included for cup sizes A/B, C, D. I made View A

Pattern Sizing:
6-14 I cut size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
For the most part, yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I've made this dress before so I really didn't follow the instructions this time. This view was pretty straight forward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love everything about this pattern. I love the princess seams in the bodice (both front & back). I like the clean lines and pleats.

The only thing I DON'T like about this pattern is that it only has a 5/8 inch hem allowance. Which is okay for View B. But depending on the fabric I probably would want a larger hem allowance for A & D.

Fabric Used:
The fabric is a poly herringbone suiting from Joann I've had in my stash for a year or two. It has a nice hand and drape. I have it in pink and mauve also. It is fairly loosely woven and unravels very easily so I made it a point to serge all the pattern pieces before I started sewing.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
This view was a bit short for my liking (because I knew I would wear the dress to church) so I added a 3-inch hem band. I chose not to alter the pattern because I plan to make the maxi length version also. Plus I just didn't want to have to alter 4 different pattern pieces. Don't judge me LOL.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I highly recommend the pattern and I do plan to make the other two versions also.

Conclusion:
I love when I get a lot of bang for my pattern buck and this is just one of those patterns. I love every single view and plan to make each one of them.

7 comments:

  1. Love the look. I also am working on the pattern. Yet I am confused as to where the zipper is inserted in View A. Did you insert a zipper?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I’ve read both your reviews on this pattern now, and I’m getting the nerve up to make my own soon. Question: are there side seams on the skirt portion? I’d love to add some pockets! Thanks! Really, your dresses are beautiful! So are you! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Kalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just jacked off to this picture

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS