26 December 2013

Christmas Dress + Make A Garment A Month Challenge + Pattern Review

Every year for the past few years I've made something red to wear to church the Sunday before Christmas. Back in October while shopping at Joann, I saw the prettiest red brocade fabric I've ever seen and immediately knew it would be my Christmas dress.


And even though I've had the fabric for some time, true to form, I waited until the 11th hour to start working on the ensemble. The delay was due in equal parts to not having much free time to sew, not having much sewing mojo and not having 100% committed to a pattern.

I initially thought I would make Simplicity 2053 - View E. It's a simple dress with side pleating. It's simple enough that the fabric would truly be the star.

But for some reason, I wasn't quite sold. So I started flipping through my patterns and settled on Burda 7034 - View B. It probably would have been simpler to make View A, but I've recently been looking at pleated peplums on Pinterest and I think that's why I was ultimately drawn to make the blouse.


Now I needed a skirt to complete the ensemble. I chose Vogue 8603 - View F, a simple skirt pattern that I already had in my stash.


Here is the completed ensemble as I wore it:




The outfit turned out okay. I definitely had some fitting issues. My weight has been up and down the last few months and I cut without measuring. I've reached the conclusion that I really need to measure myself for every project until my weight stabilizes. My blouse was very snug. I couldn't zip it or unzip it without assistance. My husband got some very good laughs at my expense. So needless to say, I won't likely wear it again any time in the immediate future. I think I've also finally figured out some pattern adjustments I need to learn to make.

The skirt was okay. The pattern is one that I've had for quite a while and I really needed a 14 but my pattern only went up to a 12. I solved the problem by sewing 1/2 inch seams in the front and back. I really like the princess seams so I can definitely see me sewing this pattern again in a basic color.

I do apologize but my pictures were taken at the end of a very long day and my skirt is quite wrinkled. Following is a review of both patterns for my fellow sewers.


BURDA 7034 - Pattern Description:
The X-shape silhouette is back, accentuating the waist or the hips. Dress with ¾ sleeves and added, pleated skirt. The box pleats of the cute peplum blouse spread from the hips

Pattern Sizing:
Size 8-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The parts that I looked at seemed okay. I didn't really follow them very closely because I've made plenty of tops/dresses before. For the peplum you just need to follow the pleat markings from the pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved the pleated peplum. One would think you reach a point where you have enough peplum. I haven't gotten there yet.

Fabric Used:
A floral brocade from Joann.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None. Although if I was to make this one again I would add about an inch to the length of the blouse.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I may sew this one again in a different fabric. Something more casual. Yes I recommend it. If you like peplum, this is a great pattern to try.


VOGUE 8603 - Pattern Description:
MISSES' SKIRT: Lined, straight skirts A, B, C, D, E, F in two lengths have princess seams, back zipper and waistline facing. A, B: gathered side front, side back and lower back. C: button trim. C, E, F: topstitching. E: contrast side front and side back. C, D, E, F: back slit. A, C, D: length is mid-knee. B, E, F: length is mid-calf.

I made View F.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut size 12. This is a pattern I've had in my stash for a while. I really needed a size 14 right now. I sewed 1/2 inch seams in the front and back to gain a little extra room.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I didn't really follow them for the most part. I did glance thru them. And I referred to the threads magazine tutorial mentioned by a previous reviewer for attaching the facing.  That gave a more polished finish than what the instructions called for.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I needed a basic great-fitting skirt. The princess seams and top stitching look nice. And the length was perfect.

Fabric Used:
Brocade from Joann

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None other than sewing smaller seams. I'm 5' 7" and normally ha e to lengthen a pattern to get it to fall below the knee.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I can  see this being a go-to pattern for skirts. Definitely recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. You look very pretty! A red dress for Christmas is a lovely tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a lovely outfit - it's a good idea to measure yourself before any sewing project - bodies change all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. Yes my body is changing more than I care for but I will definitely take your advice.

      Delete
  3. It is very becoming on you, I especially love the top. Lovely red. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS