05 June 2014

Another Version of M6953 + Pattern Review

So I guess this is my favorite pattern right now. This is my second version of McCall 6953. I made View C and wore it Mother's Day. I have every intention of making the other two versions as well.


Here is a review for fellow sewers:

Pattern Description:
MISSES' DRESSES: Dresses have princess seams, fitted, lined bodice, pleated skirt, hemline variations, and back zipper. B and C: shaped hemline, wrong side shows. C: hem band. A, B and D: narrow hem. Separate pattern pieces are included for cup sizes A/B, C, D. I made View A

Pattern Sizing:
6-14 I cut size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
For the most part, yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I've made this dress before so I really didn't follow the instructions this time. This view was pretty straight forward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love everything about this pattern. I love the princess seams in the bodice (both front & back). I like the clean lines and pleats.

The only thing I DON'T like about this pattern is that it only has a 5/8 inch hem allowance. Which is okay for View B. But depending on the fabric I probably would want a larger hem allowance for A & D.

Fabric Used:
The fabric is a poly herringbone suiting from Joann I've had in my stash for a year or two. It has a nice hand and drape. I have it in pink and mauve also. It is fairly loosely woven and unravels very easily so I made it a point to serge all the pattern pieces before I started sewing.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
This view was a bit short for my liking (because I knew I would wear the dress to church) so I added a 3-inch hem band. I chose not to alter the pattern because I plan to make the maxi length version also. Plus I just didn't want to have to alter 4 different pattern pieces. Don't judge me LOL.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I highly recommend the pattern and I do plan to make the other two versions also.

Conclusion:
I love when I get a lot of bang for my pattern buck and this is just one of those patterns. I love every single view and plan to make each one of them.

3 comments:

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS