16 April 2013

Pattern Review | Kwik Sew 3183 - Men's Accessories & Ties

I made this bowtie for my brother in law using a scrap of fabric I found in the bottom of my scraps basket.


Here's my review:


Pattern Description:
Men's Accessories. Bias-cut neck ties in three widths: 3 1/2" (9 cm), 4" (10 cm) and 4 1/2" (11 cm).  Bow tie and pre-tied bow tie have adjustable button closure on neckbands.  Cummerbund and Vest include sizes S-M-L.  Pleated cummerbund has adjustable Velcro® closure on back belt.  Vest has front button closure, adjustable button closure at the back neck and adjustable Velcro® closure on back belt.

I made both the bowtie and the pre-tied bowtie.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. Very straight-forward

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The only thing I don't like about the pattern is that it calls for buttons on the bowties rather than hooks. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is for the men.

Fabric Used:
The bowtie was made from a brocade I purchased at Joann's a couple years ago. I had made my husband a necktie and my brother in law loved the print/color. When I went back to look for more, there was none to be found. I found a remnant that was just enough to make the bowtie and a pocket hankie.



The pre-tied bowtie is made from a light-weight silky animal print fabric also from Joann's. I interfaced it with tricot before cutting it out.

 



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only change I made was to the pre-tied version. Because the fabric was so lightweight, I interfaced both pieces rather than just one as the instructions call for.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I already have requests for more bowties. I would definitely recommend it. It's a very simple pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS