11 March 2014

MAGAM Challenge : March Plans + Fabric Challenge

So I have this pile of fabric on my sewing table. It's on my table not because I'm too lazy or too busy to put it away. It's on my table because I literally have no place else to put it. My fabric shelves are filled to overflowing. SO! I need to do some major sewing so I can get this pile off my table. It's very stressful in my sewing room right now because I have stuff all over the place. I don't operate well in chaos. So this is my current challenge.


 
 
Last night I had a bout of insomnia so I actually knocked out one piece of fabric and made a circle skirt. I didn't think it all the way through before cutting. I neglected to reserve a piece of fabric for my waistband so I had to piece some scraps together. The waist turned out a little too big because of the thickness of the fabric. It didn't really fold well so the turn of fabric added an extra inch or so. I simply ran an easing stitch along the waistband to take out the slack and that seemed to correct the issue without too much puckering/gathering. So there she hangs fully complete except for the hem. I'll leave it hang for at least 24 hours before hemming it.


Now back to sewing down that pile of fabric. That brings me to my next project - my MAGAM Challenge garment for the month of March. I'm using Simplicity Sew Simple A1523. I saw a very cute version of this by MrsCharisma on patternreview.com a couple of months ago and immediately added this pattern to my shopping list.

 
 
I have just under 2 yards of this fabric purchased at Joann from the red tag fabrics. It was an end of bolt so I just took what was left. I knew I wanted to make something drapey with this fabric so I looked through my pattern stash and this is what I came up with. I really wanted to make McCall's 6841 but I don't have quite enough fabric - even for the sleeveless version.
 
Besides, since God insists on continuing to impress us with the splendor of His wonder we call Winter, I figure I can squeeze out a couple more cold weather garments before starting to focus on spring/summer wardrobe.
 
So that's what I'm up to.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you saved the skirt by being creative. The piece of fabric for the Simplicity pattern is beautiful and I'd really love to have this McCall's top. Of course it would make a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS