10 November 2013

Pattern Review | Butterick 5950



I saw this amazing fabric at Joann a couple of weeks ago and completely fell in love with it. As I stated several weeks back, I have been on a self-imposed challenge to not buy any fabric for the rest of the year. When I saw this fabric, I had it in my shopping cart, walked around the store with it, put it back and left the store. Then I went home and dreamed about it. I went back within the week and purchased the fabric LOL.

I chose Butterick 5950 because I thought the cowl neckline would highlight the drape of the fabric.

The pattern calls for a fabric with cross-grain stretch. This fabric has 2% spandex and just barely made the stretch test. I had a few fitting issues. Most of them I think are due to not choosing the right size pattern to cut. I really need to take more detailed body measurements and start doing flat measurements on my patterns before I cut.

One issue in particular I suspect may be due to the fabric not having quite enough stretch. You can see in this pic how the sleeve hangs off the shoulder. My arms are a little on the chubby side in the bicep. I wonder if I needed to cut a larger sleeve or maybe I didn't set the sleeve in right? I'm not sure. I doubt if I will sew the pattern again so this will probably remain a mystery.

Anywho, here is my pattern review for fellow sewers:

Pattern Description:
MISSES DRESS: Close-fitting dress has neckline and pleat variations, elasticized (seamed) waist, and invisible back zipper. C: bias front bodice.

I cut the bodice for View A/B and used the long sleeves from View C.

Pattern Sizing:
Size 14. I probably could have cut the 12 and graded out to the 14 at the waist as I ended up taking out quite a bit of slack out of the bodice side seams. I think I also need to learn how to do a sway back alteration.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes the instructions were pretty solid. I will point out that the pattern markings are very important - especially for the cowl neckline.

I would also recommend reading thru the instructions completely before cutting. Some of the markings need to be on the outside of the fabric and some need to be on the inside. Save yourself a little time by knowing which which is which upfront.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I particularly liked the cowl neckline in Views A/B.

Fabric Used:
I used this Silky Jacquard from Joann. This fabric has such amazing drape. With 2% spandex, it doesn't have quite as much stretch as the pattern calls for but it worked well enough.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I added 4 inches to the length. I could have used another 2 inches but I wasn't indecent at the current length.

I also omitted the elastic in the waist.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I probably will not make this one again but I do recommend it.

Conclusion:

This dress is a great addition to my wardrobe. I chose this pattern specifically because of the fabric I intended to use. Even though I had a couple of fitting issues, I am pleased with the outcome. I love the color and received lots of compliments when I wore it to church today.

4 comments:

  1. This is a stunning dress - you are right, the cowl does work with the drape of the fabric - and the colour is stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress and love the colour! One way to stop the shoulders from dropping is the add a ribbon across the back neck from shoulder to shoulder, this keeps it all in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon thanks for that tip. So would I attach only the ends of the ribbon to the shoulders?

      Delete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS